I'm looking forward to listening to and watching these chefs at the Bay Area Travel and Adventure Show... I'll report on what they had to say after the weekend.
THE TASTE OF TRAVEL STAGE The Taste of Travel Stage, hosted by Chef Garth Blackburn and Amy Kushnir, provides visitors with insights from professional foodies and a taste of local, regional and global cuisine prepared by local chefs.
Special guests include:
· Chef Garth Blackburn of Sub-Zero Wolf in Dallas and Houston, Texas, and Amy Kushnir, host of “Taste Texas” and author of “Red Dirt Recipes”: Texas is all about fresh ingredients with a little heat! Come learn professional cooking tips for the home cook with the dynamic Texas duo who will show you how to make a quick and flavorful tostada that is guaranteed to impress your friends!
· Jerry Stone, food and wine blogger (Cooking Stoned and Green Wine Guide): The American food blogger, vegetarian chef, activist, and Internet personality is known for simple gourmet recipes and advocacy for the sustainable food and wine movement. In 2015, a Sierra Club magazine article named him one of nine chefs changing the world.
· Ben Simon – chief executive officer, Imperfect Produce: Ben Simon is a serial social entrepreneur and founder and executive director at Food Recovery Network (FRN). FRN unites students at American colleges to fight food waste and hunger by recovering surplus food from their campuses that would otherwise go to waste and donating it to hungry people. Ben founded FRN in Fall 2011 while a student at the University of Maryland, College Park. FRN is now at over 110 colleges and has donated over 450,000 meals to hungry Americans.
· Allan Karl, renowned motorcycle adventure traveler, photographer and best-selling author of “FORKS—A Quest for Culture, Cuisine, and Connection”: Allan is an author, photographer, professional keynote speaker, committed adventurer, and digital marketing strategist. With an insatiable passion for travel, culture, people, and food, he has explored more than 60 countries all over the world, photographing, writing, and blogging about them along the way. A dynamic and inspiring professional speaker, Allan shares his message with captivating storytelling and award-winning photography.
· Sergio Monleón and Emily Sarlatte, Chef/Owners, La Marcha, Berkeley, Calif.: Chef Monleón and Chef Sarlatte opened Ñora Cocina Española in 2012, the popular mobile catering business specializing in paella and Spanish-influenced cuisine. Since its inception, the San Francisco Bay Area-based company has catered countless high-end weddings and special events, and made appearances at food festivals like Off the Grid and Eat Real Festival. Much to the delight of their loyal and growing customer base, Chef Monleón and Chef Sarlatte joined forces again in Fall 2015 to open a full-service restaurant: La Marcha, a critically acclaimed Spanish tapas bar in the heart of Berkeley with a menu of tapas and paellas.