Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Lose Your Passport? Here's What To Do

What should you do if your passport is stolen or lost?

If you feel it has been stolen, immediately visit the local police station. File a report and make sure to get a copy of that report.

If you are abroad, your next step should be to visit the US Embassy or Consulate. Bring all of your identification and documentation with you, as well as someone who can vouch for you if necessary. You should be able to receive a temporary passport.

If you are in the US, file the police report and then fill out form DS-64 from the State Department. This will allow you to apply for a new passport. You will need the appropriate documentation as if filing the first time.

Either way, you can get a replacement.

No comments: