Friday, March 16, 2012

Lost Passport

What if you lose your passport while traveling?

If you are traveling overseas, first contact the police and then your embassy. You will need to show up in person to apply for an emergency one, which is only valid for a limited time. Once back in the US, you will need to apply for a new passport.

To make things easier create a passport emergency kit and take it to the embassy with you. This includes two passport photos, a photo ID, proof of US citizenship like a birth certificate or social security card, airline ticket or booking confirmation, and a police report if necessary. Seem like a lot of stuff that you do not normally travel with in your luggage? Most embassies will allow you to present an affidavit of identifying witness. This will be filled out by a fellow traveler, with a passport, who can attest that you are who you say you are.

If you are in the US you can report your passport stolen by first contacting the police. Then fill out a DS-64 form and mail it to the National Passport Information Center or call 1-877-487-2778.

It's a hassle any way you look at it. Keep your passport safe!

No comments: